Sunday, July 7, 2013

We're Home!

We did it. Finally.

We've been in our new house just a week today, and it still feels pretty surreal. Like we're on vacation. Except we've got more than just clothes to unpack! And I still have to cook. And clean. And change diapers. Why haven't I hired someone to do any of that yet? That's a good question.  
 Note to self: start taking applications.

 It's been pretty hectic, to say the least.

We heard horror stories. HORROR. Financing falling through, houses not appraising, something crazy showing up in the inspection. People, PLEASE don't do what we did and wait until the last minute to pack because you're afraid the rug is going to be pulled out from under you. If you have already made it through the pre-approval process (pre-approval, NOT pre-qualification) then you're in good shape. Things are going the right way. Just be sure that you have all of your ducks in a row before you begin, and it will be smooth. We waited with baited breath for our conditional approval, and the conditions were easy peasy. Believe that it is happening, because it will.

Anyway, closing went smoothly. It didn't take very long, and then all of a sudden....IT'S OURS! I'm pretty sure that I'm the ONLY person on Earth that is excited about her first mortgage payment. That's right baby, MY OWN MORTGAGE! See? The hubby thinks I'm nuts. He says it doesn't matter who's mortgage it is, it's still a payment. Meh. He also says that instead of seeing paint colors he only see's dollar signs anymore. That's partially my fault. I have a strange obsession with paint chips.

Here are some before pictures of the downstairs. Sorry for the confusion, I should have taken them before anything was moved in.

This is the dining room. AKA the 'Nowhere to put it? We'll put it HERE.' room

Kitchen, before I scrubbed the hell out of the cabinets.

Looking out into the back yard.

End of the cabinets. The previous owner left all of his junk there for us :\

Miss Little practicing going up and down the stairs. From the living room into the dining room.




So, that's it. Well the downstairs anyway. The upstairs is a whole other day. Suffice to say that if we don't get blinds up soon our neighbors are going to start complaining.

*Knock on wood*

Everything is going smoothly for now. No major hiccups. At Lowe's today I learned how to caulk the roof line and install flashing. I'll be posting some tutorials soon as we get a little further in. I've got cabinets to stain, walls and trim to paint, furniture to refinish, a bathroom remodel, and cabinets to hang. Stay tuned! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally following this! Maybe I could learn something from y'all!

    ReplyDelete