Saturday, July 20, 2013

Paint, Paint, and more Paint

Wow. If I have to touch paint one more piece of trim I'm going to go insane. 

Why does painting always seem like a good idea? You're all, "Ooooh look at this color. That would look beautiful in EVERY room of the house. What's that? The can says it is a paint and primer in one? It overs in one coat?!" 

Listen HERE. 
That can is lying to you.

Look at it, sitting on the shelf with a flashy, metallic label making you believe it will be one coat and done. Yeeeah. Maybe for the people who prep right. Let me tell you, buddy. That's not me. Prep. Psshhh.

Naturally, our lack of preparation led to paint that did not stick to our walls, a lengthy conversation with the people at Lowe's, who, despite my best efforts at taking pictures, were not impressed. Certainly not impressed was the employee that assured me it would stick, when I called him out on it. They love me there. Riiiight. 

It's almost as bad as when I told the management at Babies R Us that they were running a monopoly because they wouldn't return something from my registry that we didn't use because our baby was 9 weeks early and to small to use it. Mr. Un-Handy just loves when I get into that. 

I digress. 

But anyway, because Lowe's is one of my most favorite places, they exchanged it for different paint.

I like Olympic paint. I like Valspar too, but Olympic fits our needs well both in price and quality. The new paint is Olympic ONE. It's nice, but it's still not just one coat (don't you dare insinuate that it could be the lack of prep work or the person actually painting). We're very pleased with the way it's turning out. 

It's just, it always sounds soooo easy to do in my head. It always sounds like a good idea. It rarely is. We could have lived with the contractor grade Navajo white that wipes off on you when you brush up against it for quite some time. 

Ok, now for some pictures. For the living room, dining room, stairs, and hallway we chose Almond Paste. It's a slightly yellow-tan, and a bit lighter than I had hoped. It probably won't be our forever color, but it's good for right now. Here you can see where the paint refused to stick. 


Here is the window, or part of the room finished. I'll take some better shots after we're completely finished and cleaned up. All of the trim is done in Olympic Crumb Cookie, and all paint is satin. 


Ok, that's a really bad shot. I'll work on that next time. I got the curtain and rod from K-Mart of all places. It's hard to tell in this pic, but it's like a cottage blue with champagne colored embroidery. That's our new air conditioner too. Two days before moving day our old one bit the dust.

The kitchen is Weeping Willow, another Olympic Paint. We aren't quite done there, but I'll be sure to post some pictures of it. I'm currently undertaking a big project of re-staining the kitchen cabinets. What. A. Job. I've determined my new goal in life is to rid the world of golden oak one hunter green, rose pink, circa 1989 kitchen at a time. You're welcome. 




No comments:

Post a Comment